John L. Jorgensen
81 Old Ferry Road
Haverhill, MA 01830
Key contributor to the successful sale of
two startups. Able to effectively build and lead teams to solve complex
operational problems. Committed professional with more then twenty years of
experience in the computer and electronics industries. Proven track
record of excellence in communications, and technical problem
solving. In depth knowledge of UNIX and networking and the ability to
adapt quickly to new environments.
Proficient with: Linux,
shell scripting, various Amazon Web Services,
Configuration Management, MySQL, VPNs, Apache Web Server, Network and
Application Monitoring, PCI compliance, Cloud Foundry.
Working knowledge of: PostgreSQL, hadoop/spark,
KVM, python, nginx, haproxy, rabbitMQ, etcd, consul,
Philips (05/2018 to present)
Lead the PAAS operations team whose charter includes:
- Drive down the cost of our IAAS services without impacting service.
- Maintain, upgrade, and introduce new features in our world wide Cloud Foundry installations
- Aid customers in their migration to cloud architecture and microservices
Philips (11/2015 to 05/2018)
Cloud Operations Engineer
- Deploy hadoop / spark clusters on AWS using Salt Stack automation and Ambari
- Deploy cloud foundry applications and associated services
- Author automation to make deployments and data gathering easier for others
- Upgrade and maintain 5 cloud foundry deployments in a production environment
- Interact with high value customers to ensure they are receiving the service they need to be successful
- Mentor junior members of the team so they quickly become productive members of the team.
Senior Systems Engineer (9/2011 to present)
- Implemented puppet and ansible for configuration management.
- Implemented cloud-config scripts to automate bringing new servers on-line in the AWS environment.
- Managed the technical project of becoming PCI Level 1 compliant and re-certifying.
- Installed a repository for package management in an Ubuntu based environment.
- Wrote automated reports in Perl to present business related statistics from our system.
- Perform troubleshooting and administration tasks for unix services including sharded MySQL, apache, tomcat, ehcache, and rabbitMQ.
- Monitor systems with nagios, cacti, graphite (and yammer metrics), and various custom programs.
Production Operations Manager (03/2011 to 9/2011)
- Migrated VMWare ESX infrastructure running RedHat to KVM under Centos6 with centos guests.
- Implemented Nagios, Cacti, and Rancid to monitor and manage infrastructure.
- Installed a local yum repository and PXE boot facility for provisioning and updating hosts.
- Implemented puppet to manage configuration in preparation for massive scale.
Quattro Wireless, Inc (acquired by Apple Computers, inc. 01/01/2010)
Operations Manager (02/2007 to 03/2011)
- Assisted in planning and implementation of Apple's iAd network.
- Managed a 200 plus server production environment 24/7 including reacting to alarms, installing new servers, managing capacity, and responding to crises.
- Installed Nagios and Cacti to monitor and alarm production systems.
- Managed the data center network equipment including; Cisco ASA, BigIP load balancer, and Cisco and HP switches.
- Implemented a mobile redirector in C, mod_perl, and PHP which redirects mobile devices from client web sites to Quattro Wireless mobile sites.
- Wrote Perl scripts to test the accuracy of our redirector and the redirectors that our clients may choose to use.
- Wrote many ad-hoc perl scripts to report on web traffic statistics and where they might differ from data in the transactional database.
- Wrote a mod_perl image processor as a web service to adjust images for use on mobile devices.
m-Qube, Inc., Boston, MA (acquired by Verisign
Director of Infrastructure (3/2004 to 01/2007)
- Implemented network monitoring to manage the health of applications, operating systems, and the network.
- Managed carrier and customer VPN's and application connections.
- Performed IT and technical support duties and assisted in building out these groups at later stages.
- Wrote Perl sctipts to report on Oracle performance data and message traffic trends.
- Managed an operations team with the goal of maintaining and improving the production ASP environment.
- Implemented a 24x7 NOC for system monitoring and first level response to client issues.
More Magic Solutions, Newton, MA
IT Manager and
Release Engineer (12/2002 to 3/2004)
Performed technical operations, IT, and release engineering tasks in a mixed Linux/Solaris/Windows environment.
Netmanage, North Andover, MA
Principal IT Engineer
(9/95 to 11/2002)
Performed desktop support, network administration, and unix sysadmin tasks in a very diverse environment.
AT&T GIS (NCR), Burlington, VT
Representative (2/94 - 7/95),
Interacted with customers directly on site, repairing business critical machines in a timely manner.
U.S. Marine Corps, Okinawa, Japan and Cherry Point, NC
RADAR Repairman (9/87 - 8/93),
Repaired, modified, and troubleshot aviation radar systems. Coordinated: Tech Publications Control, Shop Training, and Shop Safety. Installed, and administered squadron ethernet network.
- Amateur Radio Extra License holder. As part of the hobby, I study RF design, DSP techniques, Embedded programming, and digital design with FPGA's as deeply as I can given my limited time and education.
- Co-inventor of patent application 20090067395: Routing Network Requests Based on a Mobile Signature.
The text of the application can be found at
- Trac T84 A scripting language written by the late Calvin Moores. Contributions include a modernization rewrite, bit level comparison primitives, and floating point math primitives.
- Marine Corps Communications and Electronics School (MCCES) 12/87 - 10/88 Twentynine Palms, CA
Courses in: Basic Electronics, RADAR Fundamentals, and RADAR Repair.
- AT&T GIS Communications, Electronics School 2/94 - 7/95 Dayton, OH
Courses covering: Point of Sale Repair, PC Repair, Plotter Repair, and various networking courses.